Bargaining in Malaysia...and I come from Hong Kong
Just then I went to "Central Market" at Kuala Lumpa, the market sells almost identical goods as those are available on "Lady's Street" in Hong Kong, I bought a pair of cufflinks and a bag.
The bag that I bought was initially offered at $120 RM, that's about $250 HKD, and eventually I paid $60RM. As for the pair of cufflinks, they were first offered at $45 RM, which is about $90 HKD, and finally I paid $15 RM.
The guy asked me the maximum price that I can offer for the bag, I said $60RM, which is about $130 HKD, he gave me this "you crazy, at this price we can't do business la" face.
I said :"Listen, I come from Hong Kong, not Japan."
A dramatic change took place on his face:" oh, okay, make it $90RM la, you are the first customer today, I give you very special discount la..."
I replied:" I can get this bag at the price of $75RM in Hong Kong, if I can't get a cheaper price here, why should I bother to buy it here?" (To be honest, I am not sure if I really can get a bag like this one in Hong Kong at this price, but then, a good looking albiet not very high quality bag is available at $60 RM in G2000 - which is considered as a high class brand here.)
This time the guy gave me a price that's very close to my offer, $65 RM, and I stand on my offer, eventually, he was like:"...ai...okay la...deal la."
I know I could actually get the bag at a lower price than $60 RM, maybe $45 - 50RM, but as a man, I just can't get used to bargaining for these things. Therefore, I have made up my mind, I will say that I come from China the next time when I buy something at this market, and my maximum offer will be 35% of the initial price that they offer.
Guys, feel free to use my line if you want to save some money:" I come from/have just been to Hong Kong/China (translation: where I can get a much lower price of the same goods that you are selling), you know what I mean."
Trust me, this line works and we all know why it works.
The bag that I bought was initially offered at $120 RM, that's about $250 HKD, and eventually I paid $60RM. As for the pair of cufflinks, they were first offered at $45 RM, which is about $90 HKD, and finally I paid $15 RM.
The guy asked me the maximum price that I can offer for the bag, I said $60RM, which is about $130 HKD, he gave me this "you crazy, at this price we can't do business la" face.
I said :"Listen, I come from Hong Kong, not Japan."
A dramatic change took place on his face:" oh, okay, make it $90RM la, you are the first customer today, I give you very special discount la..."
I replied:" I can get this bag at the price of $75RM in Hong Kong, if I can't get a cheaper price here, why should I bother to buy it here?" (To be honest, I am not sure if I really can get a bag like this one in Hong Kong at this price, but then, a good looking albiet not very high quality bag is available at $60 RM in G2000 - which is considered as a high class brand here.)
This time the guy gave me a price that's very close to my offer, $65 RM, and I stand on my offer, eventually, he was like:"...ai...okay la...deal la."
I know I could actually get the bag at a lower price than $60 RM, maybe $45 - 50RM, but as a man, I just can't get used to bargaining for these things. Therefore, I have made up my mind, I will say that I come from China the next time when I buy something at this market, and my maximum offer will be 35% of the initial price that they offer.
Guys, feel free to use my line if you want to save some money:" I come from/have just been to Hong Kong/China (translation: where I can get a much lower price of the same goods that you are selling), you know what I mean."
Trust me, this line works and we all know why it works.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home